In-Person Qualitative and Quantitative Research
Elmer’s is partnering with another consumer goods company to launch a new line of home organization products leveraging their Ever STIK technology.
- Identify a product line positioning, name and package graphic design that would best convey the product line benefit and generate consumer purchase interest
- Identify a cost and time sensitive research approach that would enable Elmer’s to make a confident decision in their launch strategy
Our Customized Approach
In-Person Focus Groups to obtain consumer perceptions on the product line concept and to explore positioning areas and potential product line names
- Three 90-minute focus groups in one market
- Group flow: (1) category, positioning and concept discussion (2) name exploration including mood board exercise (3) Preference and summary discussion
Same Day Online Quantitative/Qualitative to refine naming options and measure which name option and package graphic option is strongest
- 2 Live 60 minute online sessions N=75/session
- The Team gathered in-person to view the live session – included Marketing, Packaging, Packaging development agency, and IIM Consultant
- Online interview flow: exposure to product line concept and video of how product line works, rotated exposure of package/name combinations, assessment of overall package/name impressions, purchase interest, main message, likes/dislikes, uniqueness, need fulfillment, additional information consumer want on package, usage perceptions, fit with brand, preferred package/name design, stores expected to see product in, expected store location of product
- Open-ends are woven into the interview to understand the “whys” behind the numbers as the results come across.
- Results tallied, mined & discussed in real time among the team to gain understanding and add additional probes, as needed.
“Without IIM’s help to find this insight, we would have gone to market with a product that didn’t meet all the needs of our consumers.”
Versatility, reusability, not harming walls and help with organization were drivers of product line interest
Naming, on-pack communication and design should highlight customization, calm and control in an attractive, fun way along with the functional benefits of repositionable and reusable
Key elements to enhance communication include:
- How many times can the product be reused and retain its adhesive properties
- What surfaces the products are safe for use on
- Strong visual proof one of the products can hold 10 pounds
- How the technology works in a simple and easy to understand way
Product was launched successfully in market, partnering with limited retailers.